It's finally going to happened. I am so excited. Ben has given the
green light and we are going to
Sicily in 2 years!! Why 2 years? Because it is
stinken expensive and we need to save money. So that also means no major vacations until then. I need my Italian speaken Uncle to go, so my family better start saving also.

I have wanted to go ever since I started getting into my genealogy about 6 years ago. Not much is known about my moms genealogy. All we really know is that my great grandparents came over from Sicily. Great grandfather Angelo came over with his brother Rosario in the early 1900's and Angelo's wife Maria come over a couple years later. After Rosario's son died he left the US and went back to Sicily. I know Angelo and Maria parents name but that is about it. So I can't wait until we go to Sicily. I am going to look up every Pulvirenti living in Sicily to see if they are related to me. And Ben thinks this trip is going to be relaxing.
1 comment:
Congrats, you are going to Sicily! It's different than Italy, so your Italian-speaking Uncle may have some difficulty understanding the Sicilian dialect. I've never been there, but I know some Sicilians from BYU who speak pure Italian and even some English. I also have an Italian-Sicilian dictionary, which means you have to know Italian first. For example, baby (English) = bambino (Italian) = picciriddu (Sicilian). Good luck!
I've found it useful to go to the library for Italian-English language help, and they even have some audio CDs. Also, there are some fun Italian movies with English subtitles (La Vita E' Bella/Life Is Beautiful, Cinema Paradiso, the Godfather). If you really want to learn it, you can practice Italian with Ben. No speak-a English to Benjamino, haha.
My theory is if you stay in the touristy parts, any knowledge of Italian and even Sicilian will help. If not, you can always try speaking English.
Post a Comment